After a though pitch battle, Recornea and Angiodroid captured first prizes, respectively for Early and Growth category, at the Italian national finals of the Entrepreneurship World Cup competition held online on 21st July 2021.TT
The two national winners advance to the next round of the global competition against national winners from 200 countries.
Recorneais a medical technology company developing implants for treating cornea deformities. Its first focus is keratoconus, a disease that causes cornea bulging and presents a market of $3B.
Angiodroid developed the only automatic injector for CO2 angiography validated on the market, with fully patented technology, which allow better diagnostic results, and freedom to operate validation.
In preparation for the EWC Global Finals, both national winnerswill participate in an acceleration program which features virtual training and one-to-one mentoring targeted to their company’s current stage and growth trajectory.
Recornea and Angiodroid emerged victorious from a pool of 128 applicants.
Other finalists at EWC Italy included – For the early category:
- oIUV, a startup that develops global plastic-free packaging solutions aimed to save the planet from plastic and waste, thanks to bioprotective treatments fruit and vegetable supply chain solutions, natural biobased water-soluble spray solutions, natural biobased plastic-free single-use packaging solutions.
- oQuicklyPro, a startup thatdevelopsQ-Walk, a wearable gait rehabilitation and maintenance device. Q-Walk is attached just below the knees and projects personalized visual cues that guide walking in patients with Parkinson’s disease. The deviceis connected to an app that facilitates specialist monitoring and patient engagement in their rehabilitation and care journey.
- Radoff, a startup thatRADOFF is an innovative startup that has developed a series of devices for monitoring radon gas, which is highly harmful and carcinogenic. It also developed the only apartment system (Radoff Life) that allows to remediate environments from this contaminant.oVolvero,a startup thatdevelopedan app for sharing vehicles that connects owners with people who need one, saving time and money. Through AI and advanced technologies, it improves quality and security with crystal-clear full insurance coverage.
- Volvero,a startup thatdevelopedan app for sharing vehicles that connects owners with people who need one, saving time and money. Through AI and advanced technologies, it improves quality and security with crystal-clear full insurance coverage.
For the growth category:
- 3bee, a company that developed impact-driven business model that use technology to increase the economic sustainability of beekeeping sector. 3Bee provides innovative services to either honey producers or consumers with the objective, for the former, to enhance apiary margin and, for the latter, to increase value perception of the product.
- Contents.com, a martech company that has developed an AI platform based on data analytics and machine learning systems. Its goal is to democratize data and make access to it easier for everyone, through a single application platform.oMoveo, a company that developed a self-powered, lightweight soft exosuit to support walking by people with limited mobility. This is the first self-powered suit and the lightest in the world and is designed for those whose walking ability has been affected by degenerative disease, age orinjury.
- Phononic Vibes, a company that is bringing to market innovative & patented solutions to reduce noise and vibration in the field of Infrastructure, Automotive and Appliances. Phononic Vibes products are based on MetaMaterials (i.e., advanced materials whose acoustic and vibrations control performances are material agnostic).
Judges for the competition were:
- Paolo Anselmo, IBAN (Italian Business Angel Networks) association President.
- Jurij Giacomelli, Giacomelli Media Managing director.
- Giovanni De Caro, strategic and financial Advisor
More than 150,000 contestants from 200 countries entered the Entrepreneurship World Cup. The initiative combines a broad-reaching pitch competition, aimed at ventures ranging from idea stage to growth stage, with a virtual accelerator program to help all participants launch, strengthen and scale their enterprises. Global Finalists will face off against one another at the Misk Global Forum in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia in November. EWC is an initiative led by the Misk Global Forum, Global Entrepreneurship Network and the Global Education and Leadership Foundation with support from a collection of national and global partners, including the GSVlabs and META Group.